Official Episode Description
Hang ten, Riptide Babies! Your favorite cheeba/Stoppard heads, Weed Lord and Half-Pipe, are back all the way from sunny California! The fog is rolling in and the screamers are out for blood, so ghouls and grommets alike should paddle in, because when the surfer ghost is out to get you, you’re bound to get got. Also, there really wasn’t a B-plot this week, so don’t expect to hear much about one. Party on, Riptide Babies! And don’t forget to save a toke for me! (A toke of drugs, to be clear.)
- “Typewriter Blues” by AllenGrey
- “Teenage Freakout” by Mules
- "Fun Tarantino Surf" By StellarTracks
- “Classic Arcade Video Game” by Adigold
- The theme to “Quantum Leap”
- “Surf City” (karaoke version) by Jan & Dean
- “Eerie Ambient Dream Carousel” by HollywoodEdge
- “Detective” by LoopsLab
- “Surfing Guitar” by StellarTracks
- Original Intro by Scott Lamb
- Superbrat Outro by Superbrat
Tanner's description is from the movie Point Break (1991)[c 1]. Tanner asks if Jack's online handle is because of Point Break, and Jack says no. Jack relates that he will not share the story because of how deeply personal it is.
60-Second Burger Run update: Jack runs out of time and Tanner did so well, making it to level 6. "I was in the zone."
You think you're hot
The plot of Moana[c 2].
1978 article about truth in fiction by David Lewis[b 1]
Tanner reads a passage about fog rolling in an proposes a connection to Stephen King's "The Mist"[b 2]
Agent Cruella Devile and Agent Uriah Heap
Mary Anne goes to answer the phone while the children do dangerous things on balance beams.
- Jack relates a story about his first day at college in Scotland ordering half a pint of ale.
- "We do so many podcasts that I can't remember where we did an extended DOS bit." (BSCMC 008: Jessi and the Jewel Thieves)
- Jet Set Radio and DJ Professor K[c 3].
- Tanner relates a story about trying to take surfing lessons.
- Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead[b 3]
- Jumper with Hayden Christensen[c 4] which Jack says is one of the most disappointing movies.
- Tanner explains quantum entanglement[c 5] (from the plot of Quantum Leap)[c 6].
- Gonzo from the Muppet Babies
- Jack and Tanner review the book live on mic on iBooks. They are pro-Oxford comma. PS don't triangulate in time Baby Nation (4/16/2019). Spoilers, Jack did not post his review on Goodreads as promised.
- There is a discussion about whether this podcast is fair use or not. (It is.)
- Half-pipe and Weed Lord are back this week.
- What's your surfer name? Take your birthday, figure out what number day of the year, and if it is over 170, divide it in half. Then reference this list of 170 cool adjectives.
- Thrash and Earring Hierarchy.
- Ellen Miles cool surfer name is "Mannered".
- B-plot is a re-hash of Episode 22: Mallory and the Trouble With Twins.
- Object of great power: two snakes ring.
References & Links
- Truth in Fiction by David Lewis, 1978: http://www.andrewmbailey.com/dkl/Truth_in_Fiction.pdf
- Stephen King's "The Mist": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist
- Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosencrantz_and_Guildenstern_Are_Dead
- Point Break: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102685/
- Moana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moana_(2016_film)
- DJ Professor K: https://jetsetradio.fandom.com/wiki/DJ_Professor_K
- Jumper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper_(2008_film)
- Quantum entanglement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement
- Quantum Leap: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap
- "Surf City" was written by Brian Wilson but was made popular by Jan and Dean. The Beach Boys do sing it at live shows on occasion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_City_(song)